Use These Teeth Brushing Tips From New York Dental Office
- Buy a new toothbrush. When you visit New York Dental Office, we will give you a new toothbrush to take home with you. It needs to be replaced every three months before the bristles start to fray. Once they do, you will no longer get as good of a clean. If you notice that your toothbrush starts to smell bad or look stained during those three months, replace it immediately as that could be a sign of bacteria.
- Soft vs. hard. A soft toothbrush is much better for you because it won’t damage the enamel on your teeth. When you use a hard one or brush too aggressively, the enamel can be stripped away and the dentin underneath exposed. Dentin is extremely porous and when exposed can lead to tooth sensitivity.
- Brush away from your gums. In order to prevent gum disease you need to keep bacteria, plaque and food particles away from your gums. When you brush, do so in a circular motion that starts at the gum line and brushes away from it towards the center of our mouth. This will help your gums to stay healthy.
- Brush often. Carry a small travel toothbrush with you and use it throughout the day. If you brush after every meal, you will remove the sugar right away and reduce your risk of getting cavities. You will also have better breath, and your teeth will be less likely to become stained, so it benefits all of your oral health.
- Use toothpaste. Most people use toothpaste but more importantly – use the right toothpaste. Buy one that has the American Dental Association seal of approval and make sure that it contains fluoride for cavity protection. When you brush with fluoride toothpaste, you are strengthening your teeth by putting minerals onto them.
New York Dental Office
245 East 63rd street
(corner of 2nd Avenue),
Suite 110, NY 10065 Map
hours of operation
Monday: 8:30 am - 9:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:30 am - 7:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:30 am - 7:00 pm
Thursday: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Every other Saturday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm